Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Summer Berry Cobbler....in January.

I know....it's January and I am making a Summer Berry Cobbler.  Who cares?  This dessert is always a crowd pleaser and it makes people feel better about eating it when they are eating fruit too (or so I tell myself).  When I found out it was my coworkers birthday and didn't know until the end of the day, I decided to make this for her tomorrow.  I hope she likes it!  If not....more for me!

Summer Berry Cobbler

Base Ingredients
1 pint* blueberries
1 pint raspberries
1 pint blackberries
1 pint strawberries (hulled & sliced in half)
1/2 C. Sugar
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
2 Tb. Cornstarch
1/2 Lemon, juiced

Scone Dough Topping
2 C. Flour
1 Tb. Baking Powder
1 tsp. salt
1/3 C. Sugar
1/4 C. Butter, chilled and cut in chunks
3/4 C. Cream (I used Fat Free Half and Half)
1 Egg

First, preheat your oven to 400 degrees.  After you have washed your berries, combine in a mixing bowl the berries with the sugar, cinnamon, cornstarch, and lemon juice.  Gently, stir this all together until it is just combine (I used a big bowl and just swirled it around until the berries were covered).  Spread the berry mixture out onto either a baking pan or a 10" tart dish (I don't have a tart dish, so I did it in my 9"x13" casserole dish).  Dollop spoonfuls of scone dough evenly over the top of the fruit, leaving a small border around the edge so that it can move outward.  Set on a cookie sheet and bake for 25-35 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the fruit juices are bubbling.  Make sure to let it cool for 15 minutes before serving, and feel free to put cream, whipped cream, or vanilla ice cream on top.


This is one of my favorite desserts.  Maybe it is my Southern Missouri roots that loves cobbler, but I don't think it gets much better than this.  This recipe can be changed depending on what fruit you have in season, and you can mix it up using fruit like peaches or apples if you want.  The topping is versatile and can work with whatever fruit you want to use as well.  I hope you all enjoy this as much as I do!

*NOTE: 1 pint = 16 oz of fruit

No comments:

Post a Comment