Thursday, January 31, 2013

cheddar. garlic. biscuits.

I have a vegetarian potluck to go to tomorrow. I'll be the first person to say that if I could be strictly a carnivore, I would. I don't say this to make anyone angry as I completely respect the diets of others (Peace Corps definitely taught me that!). But, because one of my coworkers said he would take the dessert duty tomorrow, I decided to make my go-to whenever I need to bring a side. Fluffy, delicious buttermilk biscuits that have taken years to perfect. However, one of my coworkers revealed that one of her favorite things in the world is the Cheddar Bay Biscuits from Red Lobster. Challenge accepted, Shari.  Challenge accepted.

I looked up a bunch of recipes online, but all of them said you should use a biscuit mix like Bisquick.  Sorry, I refuse to do that. Do yourself a favor and disregard those recipes. I just used my favorite recipe and added a few ingredients. Below is the recipe to my version, which I think is much better! Eater beware...this is NOT something you should make frequently.

Cheddar Garlic Biscuits
2 C. Flour
1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
1 Tbsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
1 tsp. Salt
6 Tbsp. Cold Salted Butter
1 heaping cup of Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1 C. Buttermilk (NOTE: don't buy a whole carton of buttermilk! Instead combine one cup of milk with 1 Tbsp. of Vinegar and let it set for 5 min. or more)

To Brush on Top
4 Tbsp. Salted Butter, melted
1/2 tsp. dried parsley flakes
1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
Pinch of salt


Start by preheating your oven to 450 degrees. Take the flour, baking soda, baking powder, garlic powder, and salt and stir them together. Take the buttermilk and cheese and mix together in a small bowl and set aside. Cut the butter into chunks and cut into the flour until it resembles course meal (I just take the butter and squish it into the flower until it is well incorporated using my hands). Next, add the buttermilk/cheese mixture into the flour and mix until just combined (it should be very wet).

Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and gently pat the dough out until it is about 1/2" thick.  Fold the dough about 5 times, and gently press the dough down to about 1" thick.  Use a round cutter to cut into rounds.  Place the biscuits on a cookie sheet, sides touching if you like soft sides (which I do). If you like "crusty" sides, put them about 1" apart, but note these will not rise as high as the biscuits put together.

After they are placed on a cookie sheet, mix together the melted butter, parsley flakes, garlic powder, and salt.  Evenly spread the mixture on the top of each of the biscuits before you place them in the oven.



Bake for about 10-12 minutes or until they are a light golden brown.  I recommend melting a little extra butter and spreading it on the biscuits when they come out of the oven as well.


I really think these biscuits put the Red Lobster biscuits to shame.  Mine are the same light, fluffy biscuit but I don't use any preservatives (which I'm sure theirs are loaded with).  These are amazing, and anyone who loves the restaurants version will love these.  Guaranteed.

No comments:

Post a Comment